- Cook chicken Tagine
- Cook bulgar (optional) Add 1 cup bulgar and 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
Tagine dishes are slow-cooked savory stews, typically made with sliced meat, poultry or fish together with vegetables or fruit. Spices, nuts, and dried fruits are also used. Common spices include ginger, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and saffron.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 4 chicken thighs skin on and bone in
- 4 chicken drumsticks bone in and skin on
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sumac powder
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads optional
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 chili pepper finely chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut
- 1/4 cup Olives
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon silan date honey
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/2 cup raisins regular and yellow
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt and pepper
- Prepare a large oven proof pan or Dutch oven on high heat. Add the olive oil and get hot. Add the chicken and sear for 5 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic and 2 tablespoons of chicken stock and cook for 6 more minutes, mixing often.
- Move the mixture to the side and place the sweet potatoes on the bottom of the pan. And bring the mixture over it.
- Add the chicken back in, all the spices, olives, raisins, silan and the fresh herbs and then remaining chicken stock.
- Cover and place in the oven for 1 hour. Serve with rice, Bulgar or couscous and a lemon wedge.
Have a question about these recipes? Need a substitution for an ingredient? Chef Zissie is here to answer!
Simply use the comments box at the bottom of this page or click the button below. Please try and ask on Sunday to ensure you get your answer on time!
Leftover tips for tomorrow’s lunch:
This chicken dish is even better the next day! Mix the bulgar into the juice from the chicken and reheat it and you will be jealous of your own leftovers!