Beet carrot mozzarella latkes
These gluten-free latkes are always a hit because they have such gorgeous color, flavor and are cheesy when you bite into them! They are so flavorful that you don’t even need any toppings! You can make them hours in advance and just warm them up in the oven right before serving. Tips for successful latkes: Drain as well as you can. Don’t make too many at a time and don’t move them or touch them in between. Use a spatula and a wooden spoon to turn the latke to its other side. If your oil gets dirty and bubbly, pour it out and pat the pan dry and use fresh oil for the next batch.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 sweet potato medium or large
- 1/2 carrot peeled
- 1/2 beet peeled
- 3/4 cup fresh mozzarella cut into cubes
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Hand grate the sweet potato, carrot, and beet and strain well, using a strainer and your hands to squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Place in bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil. Mix well.
- Prepare a large skillet on high heat. Add ½ cup of olive oil heat for about 1 minute.
- Prepare the mixture in the palm of your hands making a small but thick latkeh. Place it very carefully into the oil and fry for 5 minutes per side. Serve hot.
Notes & Tips:
Serve hot. Yields 8 latkes. Can double the recipe if needed! Can make these hours ahead of time and just reheat gently in oven before serve.