Beet and pepper chili
The ingredients in this dish may surprise you, but the sweetness of the beets compliments the spice of the pepper and are such a nice and new blend to the comforting flavor of ground meat
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound high quality ground meat
- 1 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 head garlic top cut off
- 1 red chili pepper cut in half, seeds removed for less spice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste optional
- 1/2 beet large. peeled and chopped
- 2 oranges juiced, with two slices saved for garnish
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 cup cilantro stems removed, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup mint stems removed, chopped
- Prepare large skillet on high heat. Add olive oil. Add meat and salt. Let brown for 8 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, break pieces of meat apart and ‘turn over’.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for scallions, cilantro and mint and cover the pot.
- Turn down to low heat and let cook for 30-40 minutes, mixing occasionally
- Garnish with fresh herbs, scallions and orange slices