Black bean corn chicken soup
This soup is so hearty and great if you are having a crowd on a cold day. I put regular dried black beans in and they were fully cooked within 2 hours.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken bottoms thighs and legs attached with skin and bones
- 2 onions peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 celery chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups black beans
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans corn strained
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice blend
- 1 tablespoon salt pink himalayan
- 1 cup fresh basil stems removed and chopped
- Prepare a large pot on high heat. Add the olive oil and get hot.
- Add the chicken and leave for 4 minutes.
- Add the onions and give it a good mix using a wooden spoon. Leave for 3 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Add 5 cups of water and cook on medium for at least two hours (ideal for 6). Add salt to taste
Notes & Tips:
The longer you cook the soup, on simmer, the more flavor and thicker it will be.