Black bean rice salad
This recipe seems like a lot of ingredients but it's a one-bowl-wonder! Don't clean the grill pan until you are done with the whole menu.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 cup whole grain basmati rice rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt Pink Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup black beans soaked and cooked or 1 can
- 4 tomatoes cut into quarters
- 2 corn on cob shucked
- 2 handfuls sugar snap peas stems removed
- 2 oranges peeled and sliced and cores saved for juice
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme stems removed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place medium sized pot on stove on high heat. Add 1 tablespoons oil and add rice. Mix for 3 minutes and add water and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix well, turn down to simmer and cover for 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill pan on high heat. In a large serving bowl add 1 tablespoon oil, juice of two orange cores, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, sugar snap peas, corn, and tomatoes. Mix well and place on grill pan.
- Grill for 8-10 minutes, turning once.
- While grilling, add rest of ingredients to bowl; orange slices, fresh thyme honey, rice, black beans and grilled vegetables. (cut off corn from cob). Mix well and serve warm or room temperature.
Notes & Tips:
Feel free to play with the grilled vegetable ingredients and add or substitute in mushrooms and or purple and yellow onions. If you don’t have oranges, mangos and peaches work well and add to the summery flavor (just squeeze a lemon or lime instead of the orange juice)