Chai infused rice
You can really play around with this recipe! You can add fresh pomegranates, mint and cilantro once it is cooked. You can use other tea bags of flavors you love (ones with cinnamon are a usual win), you can add saffron or turmeric powder to create a golden look. You can add orange zest, or lemon zest.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 teabag chai tea paper part removed
- 1/2 cup pistachios shelled
- 1/2 cup craisons
- Using a strainer, rinse the rice multiple times, until the water coming from it is clear, set to the side to drain.
- Prepare a medium sized pot on high heat. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and get hot. Add the onions and let cook for 10 minutes, mixing often.
- Add the remaining olive oil and get hot. Add the rice. Let cook for 4 minutes, mixing often.
- Add the salt, tea bag, pistachios and craisons and 1 1/2 cups of water. Turn down to simmer and cover tightly and let cook 15 minutes. Turn off flame and let sit for a few minutes before fluffing.
Notes & Tips:
If you live in Israel you can buy really amazing rice spice mixes and use 1 cup of them instead of the teabag, craisons and pistachios.