This soup has so much flavor because you brown the chicken and vegetables first. But it is still a quick recipe because the barley only takes 30 minutes to cook! Make sure the skin on your chicken is minimal so your soup doesn't come out too oily.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken bottoms bones in and skin on
- 2 red onions cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger cut into one large chunk
- 2 carrots peeled, cut in half
- 2 tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice blend
- 2 tablespoons salt pink Himalayan
- 2 stalks lemongrass cut in half (optional)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped, stems included (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/2 cup barley
- Prepare a large pot on high heat. Add the olive oil and get hot. Add the chicken and let brown for 8 minutes, mixing periodically.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, carrots and tomatoes. Mix and let cook 5 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (including the barley) and 5 cups of water. Cook on medium-high for at least 1 hour but up to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken bones, lemongrass stalks and chunk of ginger if you would like.
- Serve hot with toasted bread. Salt to taste.