This soup has so much flavor because you brown the chicken and vegetables first and the barley only takes 30 minutes to cook! Make sure the skin on your chicken is minimal so your soup doesn't come out too oily.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken bottoms bones in and skin on
- 2 red onions cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger cut into one large chunk
- 2 carrots peeled, cut in half
- 2 tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice blend
- 2 tablespoons salt pink Himalayan
- 2 stalks lemongrass cut in half (optional)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped, stems included (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/2 cup barley
- Prepare a large pot on high heat. Add the olive oil and get hot. Add the chicken and let brown for 8 minutes, mixing periodically.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, carrots and tomatoes. Mix and let cook 5 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (including the barley) and 5 cups of water. Cook on medium-high for at least 1 hour but up to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken bones, lemongrass stalks and chunk of ginger if you would like.
- Serve hot with toasted bread. Salt to taste.
|Rate this recipe:||