You can use a can of chickpeas instead of the uncooked ones, but why? It does not save time and this will taste better! If you want to make this an even more interesting dish, add uncooked eggs (in their shells) to the liquid and let them cook inside the stew. (can add 1 more cup of water too) The eggs will turn a golden brown and taste delicious with a bit of salt!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck cut into medium sized pieces
- 2 onions sliced
- 1/2 long spicy green pepper roughly chopped, (optional)
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 8 garlic cloves peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas uncooked
- 1 cup fresh basil stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Prepare a large skillet on high heat. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to pot and get hot. Add meat, trying not to overlap and sear for 5 minutes per side.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the basil) and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water, cover and place in oven for 4 hours. Add additional salt to taste.
- Remove and serve with fresh basil