This chicken is divine. The secret is high quality soft dates. It makes all the difference. It is sweet and spicy and everything in between, the chicken is so soft, dripping with flavor and falling off the bone. This dish is even better reheated!! Invest in a Dutch oven, you wont regret it!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 6 pieces dark meat chicken skin on and bone in, cut into individual
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 kabocha squash or sweet potatoes, peeled, seeds removed and cut into chunks
- 1 purple onion cut into chunks
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 cups dates
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons of dried thyme
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 red chili pepper cut in half, seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Place a Dutch oven on the stove top on high heat. (or a low pot that can go in the oven)
- Drizzle the olive oil into the Dutch oven or pan and working in batches add the chicken, searing for five minutes per side. Sprinkle both sides with salt while searing.
- Remove chicken and add 1 cup of water mixed with the tomato paste and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well, using a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot and mixing it into the vegetables and spices. Cook for five minutes.
- Place chicken back in and spoon vegetables on top. Add water to almost cover everything. Place lid on and put in oven for 3 hours.
|Rate this recipe:||