This is one of my favorite pargiot (chicken) dishes. I love making garlic this way because I make a big batch of it and it lasts for weeks in the fridge. I use the garlic as needed in chicken, salads or on crackers and I use the olive oil for cooking or in salad dressings. It is just a win win!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 12 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons silan date honey
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds pargiot cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 chili pepper finely chopped, seeds removed for less heat
- 1 bunch asparagus bottom stems removed, cut in half
- 8 dates pitted and sliced
- 2 fresh apricots sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil stems removed, chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a disposable baking tin with parchment paper. Add the garlic, olive oil, silan and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover with tinfoil and place in oven for 30-40 minutes until garlic is golden and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. This can be done up to 5 days ahead.
- Prepare a large skillet on high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the garlic olive oil to the pan and get hot. Add the pargiot pieces, not overlapping too much, in batches if have to. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper, while they are cooking. Cook for 3 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon add the cooked garlic to the pan, add the chili pepper, asparagus, dates and and mix well. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from pan and add the apricots and fresh basil and lime juice. Serve hot