Homemade lox (gravlox)
Gravlox is a way to make lox in your home and you won't believe how easy it is!!! It comes out worlds better than store bought and is so exciting to have for breakfast as a side to eggs, in a sandwich in a pasta or even just plain as a snack!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 12 ounce filet salmon skin removed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salt pink Himalayan
- 1 bunch fresh parsley or cilantro, or dill or a combination)
- 1 lemon zested and squeezed
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns whole
- Add half of the sugar and salt to the bottom of a baking dish (or any glass or ceramic dish) Place fish on top and the other half of the salt and sugar and the rest of the ingredients on top of the fish.
- Place plastic wrap on top and something very heavy on top that will press the fish down (a large brick is ideal but you can use a pot with water inside) Let sit in fridge for 2-4 days.
- Rinse off fish and thinly slice.
Notes & Tips:
This method of cooking is called curing, where the salt and sugar 'cooks' the fish over time. Homemade lox (gravlox) Be sure to have a really fresh piece of salmon, not frozen!
How long can one keep this in fridge once ready?
Mine lasts two weeks (it could be up to a month probably but we always eat it before I can find out!)
Thank u! Mine lasted 10 minutes 😉
🙂 It’s addictive!!