This is my version of pasta and meatballs. It has so much flavor and is more fun than what people are used to. Use a fattier minced meat so that your meatballs are not dry. If you want to save time, don’t make meatballs! Make this pasta and meat sauce. To do so, just skip the step of forming the meatballs. Add the olive oil to the pan, sear the ground meat, add the rest of the ingredients and follow the rest of the directions from when you would have added the meatballs back into the pot. And done
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1/2 bag bowtie noodles
- 2 pounds ground beef preferably higher in fat
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice blend
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 eggs
- 6 tomatoes chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/2 chili pepper chopped, seeds removed for less heat
- 1/2 cup fire roasted peppers optional
- 1/2 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fill a large pot with water and add 3 tablespoons of salt. Place on high heat and bring to a boil. Add ½ bag of pasta and cook 13 minutes. Strain and save ¾ cups of the pasta water. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the ground meat, spices and eggs. Mix well and create small meatballs using the palms of your hands.
- Prepare a large nonstick skillet on high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat. Add the meatballs in batches and sear for three minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil to the pan as well as the onions, garlic, chili peppers, spinach, tomatoes, basil and olives. Add 3/4 cups of pasta water. Cover and cook for ten minutes on medium heat, stirring often.
- Add the meatballs back in and gently cover with tomato mixture. Cover and cook 5 more minutes. Add to pasta and add 1 teaspoon of salt and serve.