Mexican cheesy sweet potato bowls
This dish is surprisingly filling, I figured 2 sweet potatoes per person, but if you are serving a lot of other things then figure 1/2 a sweet potato per person. Serve with grilled corn, rice, or a fresh salad.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 8 sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 4 avocados sliced
- 2 purple onions thinly sliced
- 1 green spicy pepper thinly sliced, seeds removed for less heat
- 3 limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Prepare a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Wrap the sweet potatoes like a present, so they are completely closed in by the tinfoil and place them on the parchment paper and in the oven for 1 hour. (This can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- In a serving bowl add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and use a spoon to completely open them. Add cheese inside and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Top with the Mexican avocado salsa!
Notes & Tips:
You can bake the sweet potatoes up to 4 days in advance and then just top them with cheese and bake them for 5 minutes when you are ready to eat them!