If you are making this dish for Shabbat or Chag, skip the oven step and place it on the hotplate or in a crockpot on low for 24 hours before you are eating it. This is Moroccan inspired, but instead of using cumin I use garam masala.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 red pepper seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 onion peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/2 long spicy green pepper roughly chopped
- 2 carrots peeled, roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 3 teaspoons garam masala spice blend
- 2 teaspoons sumac powder or paprika
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 can tomatoes peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped, save for garnish
- 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped, save for garnish
- 1 lemon for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- Prepare a large low pot on high heat. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to pot and get hot. Add meat, trying not to overlap too much and sear for 5 minutes per side.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add 2 cups of water, cover and place in the oven for 4 hours. Add additional salt to taste.
- Remove and serve with fresh herbs and freshly squeezed lemon