Moroccan tangerine chicken
I love Moroccan cuisine! I love how they incorporate cinnamon into a savory meal! If you don’t have all of these spices at home, I encourage you to invest in them and then anytime you see paprika in a recipe, add a little sumac too.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 purple onions peeled and cut in half
- 10 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tangerines cut in half and juiced
- 1 can crushed peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 red chili pepper chopped, seeds removed for less heat
- 1/2 tablespoon sumac spice
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala spice blend
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks or one tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 2 lemons one juiced and one cut in slices
- 1/2 cup cilantro or fresh parsley
- Evenly sprinkle the drumsticks with salt and pepper.
- Place a Dutch oven or a large pan on high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat. Add chicken in batches and sear for 8 minutes per side.
- Place all chicken back in pot and add the rest of the ingredients (except the cilantro and lemon slices) and mix well.
- After 5 minutes, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 20 more minutes, mixing periodically.
- Turn off heat and serve with fresh herbs and lemon slices. Salt to taste.
Notes & Tips:
Anytime you see cumin in a recipe, substitute it for garam masala and your food will have a whole new level of flavor!