Perfect grilled cheese sandwich
This is so crunchy and gooey but also healthy! Feel free to play around with this recipe with your favorite fillers and cheeses! I love mustard in mine but that is up to you!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 plum tomatoes sliced into rounds
- 1 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pieces whole wheat pitas opened to two even
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil stems removed
- Prepare a large skillet on high heat. Add the olive oil and get hot. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and let cook for 5 minutes or until slightly blackened.
- Remove from heat and wipe out pan with towel.
- Get pan hot and add the bottom of the pita, add the cheese, tomatoes, basil and top of pita and cook for 2 minutes on each side, pressing it down a few times until cheese is fully melted.
Notes & Tips:
Don’t worry that the fresh basil turns a bit black it is still delicious!