I never use pine nuts in pesto. I find them a waste of money and that many other nuts or even no nuts at all makes an equally amazing pesto! This recipe is amazing with roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 4 red skinned potatoes skin on, cut into pieces
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 1/3 cups fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper. Add potatoes, ¼ cup of olive oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt and mix well. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
- At 30 minutes give them a good mix and cook another 30 minutes until golden.
- For pesto add remaining olive oil, salt, garlic, fresh basil and almonds to a food processor and blend until smooth. Or chop by hand for a more fresh and large chopped version. Add pesto to potatoes when ready to serve.
Notes & Tips:
If you make your pesto in advance drizzle a bit of olive oil on top before covering with a lid to maintain its beautiful bright green color. Make extra and add it to your eggs in the morning, a cheese sandwich or to top on grilled chicken.