Pineapple braised roast
In Israel, this meat is number 2 or number 3. But you can make this with any cut of meat that can be cooked in the oven in liquid for a long period of time (braised).
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 4 pounds chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can pineapple slices or 1 fresh pineapple, sliced
- 1/2 chili pepper sliced, seeds removed for less heat
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons natural smoke flavor optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Pat meat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a Dutch oven on high heat. Add olive oil to skillet and let it get hot. Add the meat, searing for 5 minutes per side.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and water until the meat is just covered.
- Cover and place in oven for 4 hours or until the meat is falling apart. (Check on the meat after two hours and add more liquid if necessary).
Notes & Tips:
If you are serving this for Shabbat lunch and want to put it in a crock pot, add it to a crock pot after this cooking method and make sure it is covered in water and keep on low until the next day! Or you can leave it in this pot and place in on the hotplate right before Shabbat.