Purple potato chicken slaw
This dish was inspired by finding purple potatoes and papayas and Chinese cabbage (which is a softer less bitter cabbage) but if you can’t find these items here is a list of substitutes to still be able to make this dish: Instead of purple potatoes use: regular potatoes or sweet potatoes. Instead of Chinese cabbage use regular green cabbage. Instead of asparagus use sugar snap peas or green beans. Instead of shallots: use purple onions. Instead of papaya, use mangoes or apples.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 small bag baby purple potatoes cut in half
- 1 small bag shallots peeled, cut in half
- 1 bunch asparagus bottom stems removed, cut in half
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 papaya peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 chinese cabbage thinly sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 2 pounds pargiot cut into chunks
- 1 lemon juiced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper. Add the potatoes and shallots, ¼ cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Mix well and place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add asparagus and place in oven for 10 more minutes.
- In a large salad bowl add the remaining olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and toasted sesame oil, mix well and set aside.
- Sprinkle the pargiot with the remaining salt and pepper. Prepare a grill pan on high heat. Spray with olive oil and get hot. Add the pargiot and grill for 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place half in the salad bowl and half in a serving plate (optional) and squeeze lemon on both.
- When potatoes, shallots and asparagus are done add them to the bowl, along with the cabbage and papaya. Mix well and serve warm or room temperature.
Notes & Tips:
I like to serve some of the chicken on the side and some in the coleslaw because then if feels like a fuller dinner, but it is up to you!