Roasted cauliflower with meat sauce
I created this recipe because so often I crave pasta and meat sauce and this is a carb free alternative and I cut the cauliflower in pieces that remind me of ziti!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1 head cauliflower cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground meat
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 chili pepper finely chopped, seeds removed for less heat
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil stems removed, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper. Add the cauliflower, the olive oil (minus 1 tablespoons) and 1 teaspoon of salt and mix well. Place in oven for 40 minutes.
- Prepare a large skillet or saucepan on high heat. Add the remaining olive oil and get hot. Add the ground meat and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into tiny pieces. Let sear for 6 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Turn down to medium and cover and cook for 35 minutes, mixing periodically.
- Place cauliflower in serving dish and add meat on top. Serve hot. Optional: Add fresh basil when ready to eat.