Every year people try and find all different recipes for the simanim, but what you did not realize is that they together make a really unique, beautiful and flavorful salad! ALL IN ONE!!!I In order to say a blessing on each item, be sure to place them all individually on the same platter and drizzle the dressing on top. After all the blessings are made, mix it well and enjoy it as the appetizer. Add pulled salmon to this dish and you are good to go! (or a side of fish head:))
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 1/2 cup black eyed peas (optional)
- 4 ounces butter lettuce
- 1 leek white part chopped
- 1 gourd peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1/2 beet peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate seeds removed from peel
- 6 dates pits removed and slice
- 1 apple chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- (This step is optional if it is your custom) Put black eyes peas in small pot and generously cover with water. Boil on high for 30-40 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Rinse and drain.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and add leek, gourd and carrot. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and a ½ teaspoon salt. Mix well and put in oven for 35 minutes or until golden.
- In a jar add the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and salt and mix well.
- In a large bowl add the lettuce, beet, pomegranate, dates and apple slices. Add leek, gourd and carrots. Place them all side by side for making the blessings. Drizzle the dressing evenly on top. Once you are done with all the individual blessings, mix the salad well. Serve warm or room temperature.