Smokey osso buco
Osso Buco is a veal shank. It is an incredible cut of meat that has a flavorful marrow bone attached to it. Go to any butcher and ask for Osso buco and they will know what you are talking about. This recipe goes great with a brisket, short ribs or a shoulder roast too!
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 2 pounds osso buco meat can cut in half if wish
- 1 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 head garlic top cut off
- 2 mangoes (fresh or frozen) chopped, save half for garnish
- 1 red chili pepper cut in half, seeds removed for less heat
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 3 tablespoons natural smoke flavoring (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 bunch Fresh thyme or dried
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Prepare a large saute pan or dutch oven on high heat. Sprinkle meat evenly with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil and get hot. Add meat and sear for 5 minutes per side.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cover and place in oven for 2 hours, turning meat over once halfway through cooking time. Garnish with fresh mangoes.
Notes & Tips:
Natural smokey flavoring comes in a bottle usually in the vinegar section of the supermarket or in specialty spice shops. I use the brand Colgin but you can use any you find. I promise it makes the biggest and best difference in this dish! If you dont have fresh or frozen mango you can use dried apricots or dried mango.