This is a great dish because it really is 10 minutes of prep and why spend all the time making individual calzones when you can make one large one!! Make an extra dough and put it in a sealed bag in your freezer for another calzone or pizza.
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 cups whole wheat white flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Gouda cheese grated
- 1/2 cup fresh basil stems removed, chopped
- 1/2 chili pepper finely chopped, seeds removed for less heat
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon zaatar spice blend
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place the three sweet potatoes into a large piece of tinfoil, close tightly, place on baking sheet and in oven for 1 hour until really soft.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, 2 teaspoons of salt, water and olive oil. Mix in bowl first with a spoon and then with hands to form a ball. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place parchment paper on a sheet pan and roll out the dough. In the center of the dough, spread the softened sweet potato (without the peel), the cheese, basil, chili pepper and scallions. Sprinkle evenly with ½ a teaspoon of salt.
- Using your finger, add drops of water to the whole edge of the dough, fold it over and press down hard with your fingertips to close it. Brush it with the egg and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder and zaatar.
- Place in oven for 12 minutes. Remove and cut. Serve hot with warm tomato sauce for dipping.