This soup is fragrant, unique and incredibly delicious. Serve it with a side of rustic bread or rice noodles. (Soak the rice noodles in the boiling liquid from the soup for maximum flavor!)
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken legs or thighs
- 2 onions peeled and cut in half
- 4 carrots peeled and cut in half
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 stalks lemongrass cut into thirds
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt pink Himalayan
- 4 portabello mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (pink Himalyan)
- Prepare a large pot on high heat. Add the olive oil and get hot. Add the chicken, onions, garlic, carrots and crushed tomatoes. Let cook for 6 minutes, mixing often.
- Add the curry powder, lemongrass, cinnamon stick, fresh ginger and 5 cups of water and cover. Let cook for at least 1 hour on medium heat (best if up to 4 hours on low heat).
- Add the coconut milk and honey and let cook for 10 more minutes. (Avoid serving the lemongrass, cinnamon and chunks of ginger, those are just for flavor.)
- Prepare a grill pan on high heat. Spray it with olive oil. Add the mushrooms and grill for 2 minutes per side.
- Place mushrooms and cilantro in soup right before serve. Salt to taste.