- Make soup
- Make rice noodles (optional)
This soup is fragrant, unique and incredibly delicious. Serve it with a side of rustic bread or rice noodles. (Soak the rice noodles in the boiling liquid from the soup for maximum flavor!)
|Servings: people USA imperial/metric conversion:||
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken legs or thighs
- 2 onions peeled and cut in half
- 4 carrots peeled and cut in half
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 stalks lemongrass cut into thirds
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt pink Himalayan
- 4 portabello mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (pink Himalyan)
- Prepare a large pot on high heat. Add the olive oil and get hot. Add the chicken, onions, garlic, carrots and crushed tomatoes. Let cook for 6 minutes, mixing often.
- Add the curry powder, lemongrass, cinnamon stick, fresh ginger and 5 cups of water and cover. Let cook for at least 1 hour on medium heat (best if up to 4 hours on low heat).
- Add the coconut milk and honey and let cook for 10 more minutes. (Avoid serving the lemongrass, cinnamon and chunks of ginger, those are just for flavor.)
- Prepare a grill pan on high heat. Spray it with olive oil. Add the mushrooms and grill for 2 minutes per side.
- Place mushrooms and cilantro in soup right before serve. Salt to taste.
|Rate this recipe:||
Have a question about these recipes? Need a substitution for an ingredient? Chef Zissie is here to answer!
Simply use the comments box at the bottom of this page or click the button below. Please try and ask on Sunday to ensure you get your answer on time!
Leftover tips for tomorrow’s lunch:
If you are reheating this soup, don’t do it with rice noodles (they will get too soggy) Just reheat the soup and add the cold or room temperature rice noodles at the end. If you want the soup to taste different when you eat it tomorrow add scallions, purple cabbage, sprouts and more fresh cilantro!